WTAM Local News

 

Castro pleads not guilty

Castro pleads not guilty

(Cleveland) - As expected, Ariel Castro is pleading "not guilty" to the 329 count indictment handed down last Friday.

Castro was arraigned Wednesday on charges that he held three women captive in his home for a decade while raping them.

He kept his head down and did not say a word. Castro was dressed in a orange jumpsuit in front of Judge Deena Calabrese. Bond was continued at $8 million.  

Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight were found at Castro's Seymour Avenue May 6th.

The 52-year-old Castro is charged with aggravated murder, kidnapping and rape.

The murder charge involves Castro's allegedly starving and punching a pregnant woman in captivity until she miscarried.

A Cuyahoga County grand jury returned the indictment last week against the former Cleveland school bus driver, who was fired last fall. The case was assigned to Common Pleas Judge Michael Russo.

Casto's attorneys told the media, there are some charges they know they cannot dispute but hope the proseuctor will drop the aggravated murder charge so the three women don't have to go through a trial.


(Photos by Colleen O'Neill/WTAM 1100)

After the arraignment, Jim Wooley, attorney for Berry and DeJesus, and speaking on behalf of the third survivor, Knight, issued a statement:  

"We understand the legal process needs to run its course.  That said, days like today are not easy.  We are hopeful for a just and prompt resolution.  We have great faith in the prosecutor’s office and the court."  

 Get breaking news sent to your mobile phone. Text "news" to 21095. 

(Copyright © 2013 by Clear Channel, all rights reserved.)

 

More Articles